Re: Has anyone used the QuestSqlPlus Toad tool from Toadsoft?

From: jim <jmmcda_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 23:36:51 GMT

"Sean M" <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESadelphia.net> wrote in message news:3D713047.8A736554_at_BACKSIESadelphia.net...
> jim wrote:
> >
> OK, you've made me curious, but I'm still a skeptic. How exactly does
> this new feature enable me to be more efficient than typing ssh
> <hostname> and crontab -e? Does your GUI interface to cron allow you to
> telnet/ssh in as a regular user, then msu to root or oracle and edit
> that user's cron entry? This process takes me all of about 10 seconds
> currently. I'm not sure why I need a GUI to be more efficient here, but
> I'm geniunely willing to hear the sales pitch.

The TOAD UNIX job scheduler allows you to manage all your job files in one window. It lets you view and enter parameter values for all jobs, it lets you schedule jobs with an intuitive & programmable interface to the crontab parameters (which are anything but intuitive), it lets you set up and manage multiple servers at the same time, it lets you set up scheduling & input parameters to your job files then copy these out to multiple servers. After this step is complete, you can deploy your jobs to multiple servers (ftp behind the scenes). The scripts will be sent out to each server, the crontab file will be created on the client and deployed to each server. All jobs are executed via a manager script file which automatically spawns off log files for each job scheduled. Then, on the client, you can check the status of cron, you can view the crontab files, you can view the log files on each server and so forth. Even if you are a cron wizard, you can add meaningful (plain English) scheduling dates to the interface for your own or others use. For instance, "every Tuesday at 2:45pm". Then this scheduling info remains and can be used to schedule jobs for the various servers you've told it to. The "deploy" is a one-step process whereby it updates the manager script file, creates the crontab file, ftp's everything to the servers and starts cron going on the new information.

We ship with around 60 of the most common jobs (export table, database shutdown, and so on ad nauseam). In addition you can add your own to the dictionary.

In your situation, if everything is always ad hoc, then this doesn't do anything for you. But it does allow the complete Unix novice the ability to perform these tasks.

> Sql*plus won't go away because it is the best command-line interface to
> Oracle on the market. Any other command-line replacement utility will
> always be a step or two behind in functionality (e.g. according to your
> site TOAD 7.4 still doesn't fully support SET AUTOTRACE, and it only

We do support AutoTrace.

> just now supports SET LINESIZE, which sqlplus has had for what, 15+
> years now?), cost more, and not be available when you need it since it
> wasn't included in the default install.

I never intended to support Sql*Plus anything; we're a gui tool and not a script engine. But it because a huge stone around our necks because the number one request or bug (depending on your perspective) was that we couldn't handle specific user's scripts. It just got to the point where user demand forced support of the most common Sql*Plus syntax. Received on Sat Aug 31 2002 - 18:36:51 CDT