Re: Has anyone used the QuestSqlPlus Toad tool from Toadsoft?

From: jim <jmmcda_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 19:46:49 GMT

"Marc Blum" <marc_at_marcblum.de> wrote in message news:5112nuk6vj6v0ck7j4lb0l074q0b2n74tp_at_4ax.com...
> On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:18:47 GMT, "jim" <jmmcda_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >I know you think you had a point in there somewhere but damned if I can
find
> >it. If you can execute the script in Sql*Plus, then you can execute the
> >script in TOAD just as well. And are you saying that 99% of your
> >development staff spends their time modifying those version controlled
> >script files? How positively primitive.
>
> I'm not talking about executing 1 single script but about building from
scratch

[snip]

Yet how many typical Oracle develoeprs do this daily? Most spend their hours looking at tables they themselves disn't even design. They dont build the database, change the dang thing, teweak it's parms, or anything like that. They write/test queries for end user apps. Hopefully, they optimize them as well but that, too, sometimes falls on the DBA.

And as for Pl/Sql development, Sql*Plus is just hopeless. Debugging using dbms_output is like programming in C++ using PrintF statements. In 90% of the areas that affect the typical Oracle professional, TOAD fullfill 100% of their needs. Received on Sat Aug 31 2002 - 14:46:49 CDT