Re: Has anyone used the QuestSqlPlus Toad tool from Toadsoft?

From: jim <jmmcda_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 17:09:58 GMT

"Sean M" <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESadelphia.net> wrote in message news:3D70F22C.6150D161_at_BACKSIESadelphia.net...
> Dough Smith wrote:
> >
> > But overall, a Sql*Plus killer. Unless I start finding my scripts
> > choking on me, I'll stick with this one.
>
> My 2 cents: TOAD is a good GUI tool. I like it for writing PL/SQL and
> occasionally poking around the data dictionary quickly without having to
> remember which V$ view holds the info I need. I really like the
> color-coordinated PL/SQL editor for easy code reading. When I want a
> GUI interface to Oracle, I usually fire up TOAD.

That was my own original view of TOAD. Deing a developer and not a DBA, I dont have to deal with the VI/SH stuff you deal with. And I still found myself typing sql against the ddl views to view the structures of ddl objects. That's why I resisted putting a Schema Browser in TOAD for the first two years. Who needs a Browser if you have an editor and know the dictionary views? Then I caved and introduced the Browser. It's probably my second most often used window in TOAD now.

> That said, I rarely use it. 9 times out of 10, I don't want or need a
> GUI interfacet to Oracle. In a large production environment, I don't
> find that a GUI client makes me any more efficient supporting databases
> than good old telnet/ssh, SQL*Plus, and vi. Most of the time I simply

Then maybe you'll appreciate 7.4 a bit more. We have a Unix Job manager which allows you to schedule/execute your ssh files without opening up telnet. 7.4 will ship with about 60 shell scripts to perform db backup, export, coalesce, flush shared pool, force log switch, and several monitor scripts. The window also displays the results/times/status of the execution. And yes, you can add your own to the starter collection we provide. Since you already have TOAD, you can try that window out in the 7.4 beta and give any feedback if you still dont find it to your liking.

> My take is that TOAD will probably never replace SQL*Plus in a large
> operational environment. Enhance, maybe. Replace/kill? No. SQL*Plus
> will never go away, just like vi will never go away. Why? Both are

No, it wont go away. Not only for the reasons you give but some shops simply wont spend any money on development. "You have Sql*Plus and notepad so why whould we buy anything else?" I worked in one of those environments. Fortunately, I already had free TOAD in my hands. Received on Sat Aug 31 2002 - 12:09:58 CDT