Tablespace fragmentation

From: ksmith <NoSpam_at_erieplating.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:27:17 -0400

Oracle 8i on Linux RH 7.2

I planning on addressing the fragmentation issue we have in a couple of our Oracle 8i tablespaces. In my reading of the subject (being that I am kind of new at this), I was confused about the benifits/downfalls of exporting and importing as opposed to using the MOVE command.

I would rather not export and drop all of my objects if the MOVE command is just as efficient. Our fragmentation is not severe enough to warrent rebuilding all of our tables and taking the time for a export, however if it is best for performance I would do it.

Also, concerning the MOVE command; If I use the following command:

Alter table xxx MOVE TABLESPACE original

    *****moving the table to the same tablespace it is already in******

Will this rebuild the table AND eliminate fragmentation? I have read both. I would just try it, but I don't have a test db at the moment (the world is an imperfect place). If you could give me some input, I would really appreciate it. Received on Fri Aug 30 2002 - 15:27:17 CDT