Re: Has anyone used the QuestSqlPlus Toad tool from Toadsoft?

From: jim <jmmcda_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:24:02 GMT

Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:1ahrmugg34941h8m7l8gune7shvknkboa0_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 03:33:37 GMT, "jim" <jmmcda_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >I actually believe it works the other way around. Those who refuse to
> >embrace the guis will be those left in the dust of the careers of those
who
> >have learned how to master the gui tools. We will never be done with
TOAD,
> >yet as we implement more and more developer and DBA requested features
that
> >reduce mundane chores into single clicks, we force more and more Sql*Plus
> >dependent dinosaurs into the tar pits.
>
> This is of course the usual stupid argument.
> I have found that those people who start out using GUIs will actually
> NEVER LEARN SQL!
Then you have reached the wrong conclussions. I have hundreds of emails from users (including our own first junior developer) who claims that TOAD taught them sql!

> They are stuck with all the defaults TOAD and other tools force them
> to use. Are those defaults always 'smart' NO. Do those GUI-types know
> how to change the defaults? NO!

What a very odd thing to say. I know some very, very smart DBA who are using TOAD -- several of them authors of books on Oracle -- and they seem to find their way around the defaults just fine.

> forbid, Microsoft Terminal Services). They are COMPLETELY HELPLESS
> because they DON'T KNOW SQL!!

Again, an errant assumption. I wrote TOAD starting the first day I was shown Sql*Minus -- and it hasn't hurt my SQL abilitities whatsoever. Fteve Feuerenstein uses gui tools (he uses both TOAD and Nav), Guy Harrison used the Profiler in TOAD to find performance problems in a HUGE block of PlSql code his teams was writing. Are you saying these guys dont know sql? If you are, then I'm copnfused becauase I have *ALL* of their books sitting on the shelf in front of me. Their books taught me Sql Tuning and Pl/Sql coding and now they use my tool to do their own jobs faster.

> More questions arise: does TOAD have reporting capabilities as sqlplus
> HAS? NO.
Um, actually, yes it does.

> Does it support input and output redirecting. NO!

It will in 7.5. As I said, we will eventually have replaced every reason to continue using that primitive tool. Because users who DO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING are requesting those features.

> In the end the dinosaurs will make the CLUELESS gui DOMBOS obsolete,
> because the dinosaurs have learned to THINK, and the gui dombos have
> only learned to CLICK.

Again, I can point you to a list of names that appear on my bookshelves and they all user TOAD. Your argument is both invalid and unsubstantiated. Received on Thu Aug 29 2002 - 06:24:02 CDT