Re: Strange transactional problem with my Oracle database?

From: Brad Pybus <brad_pybus7zwq_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:50:19 -0500

"Ross Klatte" <klatteross_at_aol.commmm> wrote in message news:20020826092015.20995.00002566_at_mb-cn.aol.com...
> >From: "Jim Kennedy" kennedy-family_at_attbi.com
> >Date: 2002-08-23 23:17 Eastern Daylight Time
> >

> >Sql Server and Oracle are different databases. Sql Server assumes you
want
> >to "auto commit" Since ADO is a MS concept and really more designed with
> >SQL Server in mind it does auto commit. (There is probably a setting to
NOT
> >autocommit, but the default is to auto commit.)
> >
> >In SQL Server locks and transactions are bad things that prevent other
> >people from doing the simplest of things. In Oracle this is not the case
> >and things work as a database with ACID properties should. So in SQL
Server
> >it can be ACID, but you have to make sure you do things in very explicit
> >ways to make it so. In Oracle it assumes you want to do it right.
>
> What is the SQLPlus Worksheet referred to earlier?
> I am using the scott / tiger practice version from Oracle. In that,
> if you exit SQLPlus by entering the command "EXIT," even without
> having specifically done a COMMIT, then all changes are saved. If you
> exit by alt-F4 or x-ing the window, then all changes (assuming no
> definitions were done) are discarded.

When I installed my Oracle client, I installed "Client for Administrators" or something like that. Its the option that takes up the most hard drive space. Anyway, SQLPlus Worksheet is found in the start menu under "Oracle - OraHome81->Database Administration->SQLPlus Worksheet" It essentially gives you a notepad type interface for creating your queries. Some of the lesser client install options may also install this, I've just never tried the other options. Received on Mon Aug 26 2002 - 12:50:19 CDT