Re: Stored procedure of a view

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_nospam.une.edu.au>
Date: 26 Aug 2002 11:10:33 +1000

"Peter" <depend3_at_yahoo.com> writes:

> My boss would like to have a stored procedure instead of a view. Is this
> possible? I thought you can only send one value to the outside world. Which
> variabletype do you recommend to return more values with a function if it is
> possible?

You can only return one value from a function, but that value could be a composite type, such as a record or table of records etc. Possibly a function which returns a ref cursor might meet your needs?

However, it does sound like a pretty crazy way of doing things rather than just using a view. What exactly doesn't your boss like about using the view and why does he want it replaced with a function/procedure? I'd suggest finding out exactly why he wants the change, it is possible he is either working under a misconception on how oracle works or has explained it badly, sending you off in the wrong direction.

Remember this industry is dominated by two types - those who don't manage what they understand and those who manage what they don't understand.

Tim Received on Sun Aug 25 2002 - 20:10:33 CDT