Re: updating tables using SQL Loader or pl/sql (tough one)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:39:42 +0200

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 14:27:20 GMT, "nick" <nmudie_at_upctechnology.com> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I am reteiving data from my LDAP directory and I am uploading the output
>into orace tables using SQLloader.
>
>LDAP uses CREATETIMESTAMP to highlight that it's a new record and uses
>MODIFYTIMESTAMP to highlight that's it's a modified record.
>
>I do a search for CREATIMESTAMP and save it to csv file which I then upload
>using SQL LOADER.
>
>I do a search for MODIFYTIMESTAMP to find the modified records but how can I
>use this data to upload the data already in the table .
>
>Obviously the data in the LDAP directroy will change constently and I want
>to keep the Oracle tables in sync with this....but I don't know how to do
>updates with this data.
>
>ANY IDEAS ARE MORE THAN APPRECIATED.
>
>many thanks in advance,
>a very confused man in Holland.
>
>;O)))))
>Nicky Mudie
>
>Chello Broadband
>Amsterdam.

In short: You can't.
You should also never ever directly load data in a production table, but always in a technical table. This will allow you to run a script to update your table

Someone who hopes UPC will eventually sort out their messes, but doesn't believe this is ever going to happen.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Aug 25 2002 - 16:39:42 CDT