Recovering database with no backup!

From: Yanick Hudon <yannik_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 09:18:06 -0700

Hi all,

    Sorry if the post is a little bit long, but i think it worth to tell if ever someone else has the same problem.

    After 3 hard days working on a recovery and some reading with any advices from you, i succeeded

    to recover my production database but i want more explanation and wich way i can do a backup right

    away.

    Here's the steps i've made:

  1. Reformat the hard disk;
  2. Reinstall Oracle;
  3. Recreate database (for havin the control files and all data files);
  4. Copy all the datafiles and control files i had on CD to the location wich Oracle put them;
  5. After the message: ORA-00600: ORACLE initialization in progress or shutdown when i tried to connect:
    1. I started RMAN and issued the following command: RECOVER DATABASE; and RESTORE DATABASE;
    2. I still got errors on those command, i started Oracle Entreprise Manager to see the database status;
    3. It gives me Status Mounted, so i tried to open the database and on each time it gave me the missing files;
    4. I copied the files requested to the locations that Oracle Enterprise Manager was telling me;
  6. When the database got the status open, i succeed to start SQL on the database and all the datas were there.

    BTW: If ever you're using tablespace, be sure to have a copy of them when doing this procedure, otherwise

              i think taht you won't be able to recover.

    Now the lessons i've got from this crash:

  1. Be sure to always have a backup of the database (even if i still don't know how);
  2. If #1 is not available, at least get a copy of all the control files, data files, tablespace you're using;
  3. If you don't have #1 or #2, you're in real trouble.

    Last thing: When you're doing this procedure, ensure that you'll be able to recreate all the disk partitions

                     like they were before (logical, extended, and physical
partitions).

    Thanks to all who helped me in this wonderful adventure. Received on Sun Aug 25 2002 - 11:18:06 CDT