Re: IF Exists SQL statement help

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 08:10:18 +0200

On 23 Aug 2002 21:26:19 -0500, Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl wrote:
>
>> The only need for it would occur when creating tables on-the-fly which
>> is exactly what you should *NOT* do using Oracle.
>
>This is certainly the statement for production code, but scripts that
>help one build and rebuild things for their own personal sandboxes could
>very easily want to do such existence checking.
>
>Not every question has to be taken as though the end-result is going to
>be a production piece of SQL.

But usually development code with crappy procedures ends up on a production system. One shouldn't make the distinction. I don't know any developer who regularly brushes up his code for a production system, in fact I know most developers only know the copy and paste buttons.
The quality of *all* the code (without exception) of all 3rd party applications I see is usually *dramatic*. That is including Oracle Apps, which is the *WORST* product Oracle ever shipped (No Primary keys, No RI)

Regards

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Aug 24 2002 - 01:10:18 CDT