Challenge: algorithm to transform unique string into unique number

From: upuaut <upuaut_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2002 11:13:25 -0700

Group A (we) has a database with few tables that maintains demographics and survey responses of a list of users. A user is identified by their (type text) user_id . Each of course have their own unique one.

The challenge: We (group A) need to feed out survey data into a nother database maintained by group B (them) that uses a number as a unique identifier for the user_id. Is there a way I can generate a *MAGICAL* unique number for every user from the user_id?

Also, we should be able to get the user_id from the generated number.

The login ID is varchar2(100)
The number to be generated is Number(20)

Any help/pointers is/are appreciated.

thanks. Received on Fri Aug 23 2002 - 13:13:25 CDT