Re: is oracle the right tool?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:48:51 GMT

jae wrote:

> I am seeking some advice. I am just starting a project that requires
> a database that will have at least 1 million rows and potentially up
> to 10 to 20 million. There will probably be about 10 tables, that are
> fairly simple with about 10 fields. Total number of users will be
> about 10 also. I was wondering if oracle is the right tool to choose.
> My background is purely MS Access and I'm pretty sure that this is
> too large for MS Access. The extent to which I have used Oracle is to
> connect to it with MS Access using ODBC. I consider myself an expert
> at Access but know next to nothing about Oracle, so my questions are:
>
> 1) Oracle or MS SQL Server? or is Oracle too much for what I'm trying
> to do? I'm leaning towards Oracle because it's not from MS and I have
> the impression that it is better. Not to open any cans of worms but
> am I generally right?
>
> 2) If Oracle, then which of the many bizzillion flavors (8i, 8i
> personal, 9i, 8i enterprise, et al) do I use considering I am
> completely new to this but have a good capacity to teach myself?
>
> any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
> thx
> Jae

Ask this question in the Informix, Sybase, or DB2 groups and predictably they will suggest you use their tool. You asked here and I will without embarrasement tell you that Oracle is more than adequate. Would Access work? Probably not if stability and performance are of any concern. Would SQL Server work? Absolutely. So why choose Oracle?

Take a good look at your resume. And ask yourself the following question. If two years from now I am looking for work what would I like my resume to reflect about my background and experience.

But I must caution you that Oracle is an industrial strength product and the transition will, at least at first, be painful unless you find someone who knows Oracle very well to support your efforts.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Aug 23 2002 - 10:48:51 CDT