Re: converting oracle passwords

From: notherdba <member_at_dbfoums.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:08:15 +0000

Actually this is a vailid problem for trusted DBA's. I have stumbled across part of the solution whil writing a java routine to encrypt password for storage in ini files.

The encryption is actually done in a simple PGP style hex conversion based on a seed code. The stumper was that they use the username to salt the password (That's why all Oracle encrypted paswords are 16 characters lon, they only use a portion of the username). To verify you can create 2 user accounts and set the passowrds the same, then look in dba_users to see the results.

I can currently resolve 12 of the 16 charcters with a java routine I have written. I am working on the rest.