Re: How do I retrieve free values?

From: Christopher Beck <christopher.beck_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:34:50 -0400

If you are using integers then you could do something like this.

Using a table with at least as many rows as the max integer you can use the MINUS operator.

ops$clbeck_at_ORA8I.WORLD> select * from n;

       NUM

         1
         2
         3
         4
         5
         7
         8
        10

8 rows selected.

ops$clbeck_at_ORA8I.WORLD> select rownum from all_objects where rownum < 11   2 minus
  3 select num from n
  4 /

    ROWNUM

         6
         9

hope this helps.

chris.

--
Christopher Beck, Principal Technologist, Oracle Corporation,
christopher.beck_at_oracle.com