Re: How to clean statistic views?

From: Richard Foote <Richard.Foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:13:50 +1000

Hi Chris,

Any strong detergent usually does the trick ;)

Actually you can't and nor do you want to clean out the statistics.

I assume you want to do this so you can determine database statistics over a period of time and have fresh stats to do so.

There are two ways you can do this depending on database version.

  1. Run utlbstat and utlestat scripts to take a "snapshot" of the statistics between running utlbstat and utlestat. The report.txt that it generates only captures statistics over this time. Any database version has these scripts in ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin.
  2. Use statspack to accomplish the same thing. Benefits of using statspack is that you can have as many shapshots as you like, making comparisions between any of them and you can also automate the whole process. Avaliable since 8.1.6. Install via ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/spcreate .

Look in the Performancing Tuning Guide for all the juicy details.

So in summary, you probably don't need to do what you want to do by cleaning out the stats.

Cheers

Richard