Re: Exporting a Schema to a script files

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:12:24 GMT

Brian Tkatch wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:29:41 GMT, Daniel Morgan
> <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >Brian Tkatch wrote:
> >
> >> We are looking for a way to export the schema of a user to a bunch of
> >> text files. That is, one file per object (and its priveledges,
> >> indexes, etc...) with a master file calling them in the correct order.
> >> I saw the exp tool, but it doesn't seem to have a SQL statement
> >> export.
> >>
> >> Is there a script or a tool that does this? Curently, I am trying to
> >> do an export from a tool (PL/SQL Developer) and I am waiting for it to
> >> finish. When it does, I guess I will have to make order from the
> >> hundreds of files.
> >>
> >> Brian
> >
> >I can't think of any tool that does what you want because I can't in my
> >wildest nightmares understand why anyone would want separate files for
> >each object.
>
> Imagine it being the easiest way to disseminate object information to
> users with no immediate DB access.
>
> > Sounds to me like a maintaince-version control nightmare.
>
> Yes. But, the objects are not seem to be updated often. So, it may be
> cumbersome, but not a nightmare.
>
> >If you can settle for a single file just about every product will do it.
> >
> >Daniel Morgan
>
> Brian

I guess what strikes me as frightening is that if the database contains 100 objects, and three are updated, it will be remarkably easy for someone to no accurately version control the three that changes. Putting everything into a single build script solves that problem. And I can't see how that could possibly do anything but enhance distribution.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Aug 19 2002 - 14:12:24 CDT