Re: Can everyone explain to me about the meaning of gaining the OCP title?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:13:19 GMT

Lamborghini wrote:

> I am an undergraduate student and I am going to study "managment information
> system". Friends around me told me a lot about having exams like MCSE or OCP
> and they said that these things can help students like us to have a good job
> after graduation. But I doubt can these things help me because I think that
> these exams are more likely to be taken by experienced DBA or system
> administrators, not us who have no experience before. And now I want to ask
> "Should I take the OCP or MCSE exam without working experience?" Thanks for
> your reply!

Your instinct is correct in that these exams will not help you get a job. But not because they are taken by experienced DBAs or sysadmin. Rather because those of us that hire professionals know that most people with the certificates got them by taking a class, or buying a cram book, and really don't have a clue when, when, how, or perhaps most importantly, when not, to do things on a real system.

Save your money and find instruction that actually teaches you how to do the work.

We don't need people that know what a tuple is or some obscure aspect of working with nested tables. We need people that can turn business problems into debugged stable and scalable code.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Aug 19 2002 - 10:13:19 CDT