Re: oracle for linux can't be installed

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_nospam.une.edu.au>
Date: 19 Aug 2002 09:26:26 +1000

"sys" <h.cx_at_263.__net> writes:

> oracle for linux 8i
>
> user: not root
>
> first tried mandrake linux8, gnome, tar vxf... , ./runInstaller, the setup
> screen appeared but didn't respond to any operation, installation failed
>
> then redhat7, gnome, tar vxf... , ./runInstaller, no response, ps -aux could
> see that the runInstaller process was running, failed again.

to install Oracle on linux you need to follow the release notes and installation guide very closely. Also, check the release notes/readme in the root directory of the redhat 7.x distribution which talks about issues relating to both oracle and java. Note also that I don't think Mandrake is one of the supported platforms for oracle (last time I looked, I think it was just RedHat and SuSe. If you are going to install on Mandrake, you will have to do a fair amount of tweaking/trial/reading/thinking to get it to work (and personally, I think Mandrake 8 is a very poor choice - its a distribution which has put a lot into the user interface side of things, but at the expense of some stability and functionality IMHO).

You can get 8i installed on nearly any linux system, but once you move away from the ones supported by Oracle, you are pretty much on your own and will need to be prepared to go through a lot of trial and error. I have 8i running on a Debian based system which has worked well for me, but I would have to admit it was one of the hardest apps to get installed and running on Linux I've ever worked with and I've been working with Linux for a long time. Some issues to watch out for -

  1. glibc compatibilities - later linux versions (including redhat 7 and mandrake 8 which is based on rh7). Make sure you get the glibc stubs patch from the oracle web site.
  2. Make sure you have the recommended java versions (as specified in the oracle release/installation notes).
  3. Make sure you make the recommended kernel parameter settings configured as per the relase/install docs. If you are running a 2.4.x kernel, you will need to read up on how these setting are set/changed with these kernels
  4. Be careful about your locale settings - I found that setting locale to anything other than C can screw up the installer, which uses jre. This sounds lie it could explain the first problem you encountered. When I set my locale to anything other than C, the installer window would pop up, but none of the buttons would respond (apart from quit I think).
  5. Don't assume you can skip any of the installation instruction steps and if possible stick to the versions of libraries, java etc specified by Oracle.

good luck

Tim

--
find / -iname microsoft -exec rm -rf {} \;