Re: connect to Oracle over the web

From: TurkBear <jgreco1_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:13:33 -0500

Here is what that page's info had:

What versions of the OCI client libraries are supported with what versions of the database?

Client and server software is tested for compatibility when new versions are released. We test all new clients with all server versions of the database that, on the day the new client releases, are still within the Primary Error Correction phase of their support life. We also test new servers with clients that, on the day the new server releases, are in the Primary Error Correction phase of their support life,
or are in the first two years of the Extended Maintenance phase of their support life. If we do not test the combination,  it is not supported. When 9.2 released, client and server versions 8.0.6, 8.1.7, 9.0.1, and 9.2 were within their Primary Error Correction support life.
Those combinations of client and server were tested and are supported. We also tested the old Oracle 7.3.4 client against 9.2, because 7.3.4 was still in the first two years of its Extended Maintenance Support life,
so that combination is also supported.
The matrix below summarizes clients and server combinations that were tested. Note that now both 7.3.4 and 8.0.6 are in their Extended Maintenance support life, so although these releases may be compatible,
 they are not part of a supported configuration unless the customer has purchased extended maintenance support.

 Server Version Client Version

                               7.3.4 8.0.6 8.1.7 9.0.1 9.2
       7.3.4               Yes* Yes* Yes* Yes* Yes*
      8.0.6                Yes* Yes* Yes* Yes* Yes*
      8.1.7                Yes* Yes* Yes Yes Yes
      9.0.1                Yes* Yes* Yes Yes Yes
      9.2                   No     Yes* Yes Yes Yes

*=Supported for customers under Extended Maintenance only. EMS support will end for 7.3.4 on 31-DEC-02. EMS will end for 8.0.6 on 30-SEP-2003.

Since new database servers are compatible with a limited set of older OCI clients, it may not be necessary to  upgrade the client software when upgrading the database. However, some new features may not work without upgrading the client software.
 So, for example, an Oracle 7.3.4 client is able to connect to an Oracle9i database, but is not able to take advantage of newer features such as
 Transparent Application Failover (introduced in v8).

hth

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Fri Aug 16 2002 - 11:13:33 CDT