Re: Recover a database

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 20:09:00 -0700

"Yanick Hudon" <yannik_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<s%A69.2120$P%1.648454_at_news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a few questions regarding a recovery that i must do.
>
> Here's the situation:
>
> I had 60GB of hard disk which was partitioned like following:
>
> First Partition: W2K Operating System with SP2;
> 2nd Partition: All the software including Oracle;
> 3rd Partition: All Data with the database;
>
> My W2k crashed and i need to reinstall everything (even Oracle).
> Now my question will a be able to recover the database just by
> setting the Apache Server i had
> like before the crash?? If i create another database, will i be
> able to access the old database??
>
> Thanks in advance!

Not sure what you mean by setting Apache server to recover a database. Oracle recovery, as far as I know, has got nothing to do with how your Apache server is setup.

First of all, you should have had a disastor recovery plan in place for these types of situations. If you don't then now is the time to do it...i.e. if you can perform one of the next two steps.

  1. If you can get to Oracle files on the disk e.g. datafiles, redologs, control file of the original database. Then all you got to do is install your OS, Re-install Oracle, Re-create the same directory structure on your third partition where the database previously resided e.g. If original structure was E:\Oradata\dbf\... then create the exact same structure, replace all oracle files (Including pfile) according to the original directory structure, create Oracle service by using oradim (If the previous one got hosed) and restart your database.
  2. If you cannot get to the datafiles due to disk corruption then you have to go back to your last good backup and recover from there.
  3. If you got neither, and this was a production instance...then plan on posting your resume on the monster board.

//Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Aug 14 2002 - 22:09:00 CDT