Re: Calculated passwords ?

From: Rick Wessman <Rick.WessmanNO_SPAM_at_oracle.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 05:00:51 -0700

There is no mechanism to do password checking using a PL/SQL routine. However, Oracle Advanced Security provides an adapter which uses RADIUS. A RADIUS plugin could be created to do the password checking.

                                             Rick

In article <3D5994FD.A5766B6C_at_noaa.gov>, Thomas says...

>--------------3EE9DC6B0C12423A8F70B4B7
>
>Yeah, I'm a bit confused, too. It sounds as though your system will be
>consistently changing the passwords at whatever interval you think
>appropriate and then checking them at connect time. Like Daniel, I don't
>
>believe that there's a way to extract the password so that it can
>be used by a chunk of "plain", user-written PL/SQL code.
>
>If you're open to a design change, however, you may want to consider
>the use of a "PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION" in the user's or the system
>profile. Read all about it in chapter 21 of the
>"Oracle8i Administrator's Guide, Release 2 (8.1.6)",
>Oracle part number A76956-01, or in the latest Oracle9i version of the
>doc.
>
>If you take this path, be sure to heed this nugget:
>
>Oracle recommends that you do not change passwords using the ALTER USER
>statement because it does not fully support the password verification
>function.
>Instead, you should use OCIPasswordChange() to change passwords.
>
>Bye,
>Tom
>
>Andreas Koch wrote:
>
>> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>>
>> > No of which I am aware.
>> >
>> > But you could accomplish the same thing by giving everyone the same
>> > password and having authentication done by a LOGON system trigger.
>>
>> How would the "custom" password be passed to that trigger?
>>
>> --
>> Andreas
>> To boldly go where no sane person has gone before
>

>--------------3EE9DC6B0C12423A8F70B4B7--

                                Rick Wessman
                                Oracle Corporation

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.