Re: Newbie: datatype, sequence

From: tojo <TomJordanTojo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:39:38 +0200

In article <ajd798$ge3$1_at_bird.wu-wien.ac.at>, stefan.lintner_at_wu- wien.ac.at says...
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Oracle9i SQL and have a problem in choosing the correct
> datatype; I create the following table:
>
> create table test (
> id integer primary key,
> name char(30),
> adress char(40)
> );
>
> Now I would like to have "id" as a sequence. Which datatype should I use
> when I create the table? Integer like in my example above?

A sequence is not datatype, nor can you bind it to a specific field (maybe you're thinking of SQLServer?). Search the google archives for this group about how to generate unique id's (it's been discussed many times before).