Re: Calculated passwords ?

From: Thomas Gaines <Thomas.Gaines_at_noaa.gov>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:23:41 -0600

Yeah, I'm a bit confused, too. It sounds as though your system will be consistently changing the passwords at whatever interval you think appropriate and then checking them at connect time. Like Daniel, I don't

believe that there's a way to extract the password so that it can be used by a chunk of "plain", user-written PL/SQL code.

If you're open to a design change, however, you may want to consider the use of a "PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION" in the user's or the system profile. Read all about it in chapter 21 of the "Oracle8i Administrator's Guide, Release 2 (8.1.6)", Oracle part number A76956-01, or in the latest Oracle9i version of the doc.

If you take this path, be sure to heed this nugget:

Oracle recommends that you do not change passwords using the ALTER USER statement because it does not fully support the password verification function.
Instead, you should use OCIPasswordChange() to change passwords.

Bye,
Tom