Re: Forced to use uncertified client on win2k!

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:12:49 +0100

"Craig" <jokes_for_craig_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a28fbc2.0208130452.3f871b17_at_posting.google.com...

> I can use option C only if I can show why option A will not work. And
> this is where I need some help! Despite all the helpful "it's not
> certified" posts, I have not found any information outlining the
> problems or potential problems that might occur. Are client
> connections dropped mid-session for example? Has anyone suffered
> lost/corrupted data? I need only one specific problem to convince my
> boss that running anything less than 8.1.7 is a_bad_idea..

My preference (since you are only touching the clients ) would be to use the 8.1.7 client. Stuff that maybe especially relevant to you (and is fixed in 817)

      926654 On a windows NT machine configured with more than one IP address, which are on different subnetworks , sometimes the clients are not able to connect to a dedicated server.

     1073293 A Windows based client can incorrectly signal a write failure when using Net8 over a slow network connection (such as a PPP connect)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA