Re: Getting an Answer Is One Thing, Learning Is Another

From: Richard Foote <Richard.Foote_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:53:46 +1000

Hi Niall,

Having been in the education/training game for a while, there is another issue to consider. That being time. People are often so busy fighting fires that they don't have the time to consider what's causing them. They're so busy doing and implementing and getting things done, that they don't have the time to consider *how* to get things done (*right*).

Deadlines, deadlines, pressures, targets, share prices, Bowie concerts, more deadlines, ... Good grief, who has the time to obtained the necessary knowledge, training, experience, testing, research, ... No wonder so many people post questions here and elsewhere without an attempt to discover things for themselves. They don't have the time.

It's actually an art into itself and one that managers, organisations, governments but above all individuals need to learn to address.

But one they often don't learn to address because they don't have the time ...

Richard