Re: date column select question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:01:28 +0200

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:49:39 GMT, "Scott Mattes" <ScottMattes_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Daniel,
> Isn't it better to use a 'screwy' format and then specify what the format
>is to TO_DATE, then to figure out the format for the instance (it is my
>understanding that the format can be set different for each instance
>installed on the same machine, not to mention from machine to machine) and
>then have to remember why it works on one site and not another?

Sure, following your advise the DBA doesn't have to worry about differences between database and client. I screwed a complete import once because developers didn't use a date mask in their default column clause.
However, I would prefer using DD-MM-YYYY always, as that format is language independent.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Aug 12 2002 - 13:01:28 CDT