Re: Damaged Undo Tablespace

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:20:33 +0100

"Schrödinger's Cat" wrote:

> Additional Info:
>
> I can start and mount the database, but when I try to open it, I get an
> error that says that the UNDO TABLESPACE can not be opened, and then the
> whole database closes. I tried setting the UNDO mode to manual figuring
> that then it should not need the undo tablespace, but the same thing
> occurs...no way to get the the database open.
>
> I would appreciate any help!!! My next step is pretty drastic (new
> database, re-import from very old data and re-update the data)...please help
> me to avoid that.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Schrödinger's Cat" <72446.2772_at_compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > We had a power failure during database (9i) operation. All the data
> > tablespaces seem to be fine, but the database will not start because the
> > undo tablespace is corrupt. There is nothing I need to worry about losing
> > in the Undo space. I do not have a backup of the database in 9i. I have
> > tried dropping the undo tablespace, removing it, etc. Nothing will allow
> > the thing to come back online. I am not the most experience Oracle guy,
> so
> > there is probably something obvious...would someone tell me what that
> > obvious thing is? What do I do to get this database back? Thanks.
> >
> > Lost in outer<table>space

Do you have a metalink account?

Based on no reseach and a wild guess I'd try creating a rollback tablespace and segments and dropping the UNDO before mounting the database. Though if it were mine I'd be at metalink armed with all of the ORA- messages and information from the ALERT log you haven't provided.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Aug 11 2002 - 09:20:33 CDT