eventhandler

From: Heinz Kammerlander <hkam_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 22:55:04 +0200

Colleges

We developed a tool we call "EventHandler" which I'd like to share with interested fellows.

It is used to manage a set of modules that may be implemented in PL/SQL, C++ or some other languages. The modules may send data (events) to each other. The events are queued and sequentially forwarded to the dedicated handler modules.

Beside others we basically use it for the following purposes:

  1. integrate SW modules of various technologies
  2. decoupling of function calls. we sometimes want not to call procedures since it means waiting until it has finished. therefore a module just sends an event to a handler module that will work on the event in parallel and continue processing.
  3. run modules sequentially: since events for one module are queued and sent one after the other to the handler module, the modules need not to use database locking mechanisms as would be necessary for procedures that may be called (and therefore run physically) n-times in parallel.
  4. for each event "event-contexts" may be defined and sent as parameters.

Besides there are some nice features like cyclic events and the like.

The event handler runs on various unix palttforms (linux, aix,..) and also under Windows - for thouse who like ;-) It is fast and it is allready in use as middelware software in quite huge warehouse automation projects over the world.

... and it uses oracle database.

lg Heinz. Received on Sun Aug 11 2002 - 15:55:04 CDT