Re: Win2K- How to start DB? thru Services or Sql*Plus?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:53:27 +1000

Totally different architectures. On Unix, Oracle is a multi-process architecture. On Windows, there's one process, but with multiple threads within it -it's a genuinely multi-threaded architecture, in other words.

So there's no equivalent in Unix for starting the Windows service -the architecture doesn't require it.

I assume that Windows requires the service so as to establish the process/threads and associated process memory. On Unix, each process can be spawned dynamically, and grabs its memory allocation as spawned. I guess it's technically impossible for threads to grab memory on-the-fly.

The way I always explain your specific question is this: the service is not the Instance, but it's the (Windows)architectural underpinning of the Instance. That's why killing the service kills the Instance, but not the other way around.

But we're delving into the realms of Windows programming here, so I'll bow out and let someone more qualified continue as they see fit!

Regards