Re: My Win2000 power user broke when I installed Oracle

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 22:13:35 +0200

On 10 Aug 2002 18:36:13 GMT, dold_at_79.usenet.us.com wrote:

>Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>: You need to install Oracle connected as the *local* administrator on
>: that server, so not using *any* domain account, as you need to create
>: a *local* ora_dba group, which is done properly when you connect as
>: local administrator. And, as far as I know, that's in the manual.
>: So your error is trying to be 'smart' and not following the manual.
>
>That is what I did. I logged in as administrator on the local machine.
>
>I now have a local ORA_DBA group, and a local ORA_OPER group.
>I don't seem to have any problem with Oracle. I have added users, created
>tables, "worked" with the tables.
>
>My problem is that now, my corp/cdold login is no longer in the local
>"power user group", and cannot do some things that require changes to the
>registry. I have a program that wants to make configuration changes to
>the serial port, and it cannot. Another program wants to save
>configuration to the registry and could not. I now have a modified
>version of that program which works, by making changes to the CURRENT_USER
>keys instead of ROOT. I can still run regedit and make changes, but I
>can't make any changes in Device Manager.
>The local ORA_OPER contains corp/cdold, Administrator, and Guest.
>The local ORA_DBA contains no entries.
>The local "Power Users" group contains \S-1-5-21-...500
>The local Administrators group contains the same \S...-512 and administrator.
>
>From the Win2000 resource kit, WHOAMI /GROUPS shows that I am part of
>the "BUILTIN\Power Users" group, and the "MyPCName\ORA_OPER" group
>BUILTIN is the actual value shown.
>MyPCName is not the real value, nor is CORP.
>I am identified as corp\cdold S-1-5-21-...-4394

If you are in the local administator group you should be capable to use the user administrator for domains (part of the administrative tools) to readd copr/cdold to the local power user group. I can see no reason why that shouldn't work and shouldn't last more than a few secs.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Aug 10 2002 - 15:13:35 CDT