Re: Oracle 7.0 database recovery

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:10:27 +0100

"KS" <fongks_at_no.spam.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:aj1vcp$gqg$1_at_nobel.pacific.net.sg...
> Hi,
>
> I got 2 questions on Oracle database recovery questions, need your expert
> advice on that:
>
> 1.If the archive log for the Oracle database is missing, but all the rest
of
> the related data files are intact, can database recovery be possible?

You can recover to your last backup. If you have *some* of the archive log files then you can recover from the last backup up to the first gap in the archive logs using incomplete recovery. Complete recovery is not possible. If as you say you have *all* the other data files then you need to ensure that the archiver is set working again and do a backup.

> 2.If the archive log for the Oracle database is missing, can we rebuild
the
> archive log based on the data files using special Oracle tools/command and
> then attempt data recovery.

No.

Cross-posting will not get you a larger audience, try to keep the posts to the appropriate newsgroups.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA