Re: Max size of query?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 15:19:32 GMT

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

> Is there some maximum to how large a query can (or should) be?
> I'm how long the user list can be in a program-generated
> SELECT ... WHERE uname in ('user','user',...);
>
> --
> Hallvard

I believe that this list size is unlimited except by the common sense of the person banging out the code. For example I would never write what you have done above. Rather I would do this:

SELECT ...
FROM ...
WHERE uname IN (

   SELECT uname
   FROM some_other table);

Hard coded values are a maintenance nightmare and in cases such as you seem to be describing, above, have little if any place in a relational database.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Aug 09 2002 - 10:19:32 CDT