Re: shared pool problem

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 9 Aug 2002 06:14:35 -0700

"Gerrit Daluwein" <gerrit.daluwein_at_pandora.be> wrote in message news:<11y49.54906$8o4.7434_at_afrodite.telenet-ops.be>...
> I am getting ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error when calling a stored
> procedure in a package ( the procedure accepts three parameters and uses
> these to insert a row in a table. )
>
> When i execute ALTER SYSTEM FLUSH SHARED_POOL the problem is solved, but
> after some time i get the same error again.
>
> Can anyone please help?

Without actual code and the full error message stack there isn't much to go on, but a 6502 normally can be traced to trying to load a value that is larger than the receiving field.

One cause of this error is when Oracle has to perform an implicit data type conversion because one of the variables is a number datatype and the other is character and Oracle tries to convert the character to numeric and the character column/variable does not contain numerics.

Failure to trim blanks out of a character variable before attempting conversion to numberic might be another cause.

Version specific problems might exist but you did not list your Oracle version or platform.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Aug 09 2002 - 08:14:35 CDT