Re: Getting an Answer Is One Thing, Learning Is Another

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 20:06:45 +0100

"Martin Doherty" <martin.doherty_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:3D4F100C.552C5F0C_at_oracle.com...

> I am filled with admiration for the cadre of Oracle experts who are
> regular contributors to the comp.databases.oracle.* newsgroups (Daniel
> Morgan, Richard Foote, Howard J. Rogers, Sybrand Bakker, Peter Sharman,
> Niall Litchfield, Norman Dunbar and others). Daily, these selfless
> individuals freely donate their time and the benefits of their knowledge
> and experiences, without pecuniary reward and with only the occasional
> word of praise.

Though I appreciate the thought , I don't especially like beng singled out, and especially not as an expert. As far as reward goes I know I've got far more out of these group than I ever put in (and that's not counting the 1970's musical heros who keep cropping up).

> Most of the questions appearing on the newsgroup are of the type
> described in your article, and they are usually answered (cheerfully,
> sarcastically or brutally) with either the specific information
> requested or an admonition to consult the Oracle documentation, but
> often with the important rider added: "Tell us what it is that you are
> trying to accomplish, and we can advise you on the best techniques to
> use, and why". Not only that, but they are always striving to expand the
> fundamental knowledge of all questioners, to better equip them to solve
> their own problems in future, and to eliminate the damaging assumptions
> and myths which so often dominate our choices in a landscape of
> unmanageable complexity.

I'd like to hope Received on Wed Aug 07 2002 - 14:06:45 CDT