Re: tcp port

From: Andrew Pahomov <pahomov_at_validio.com.ua>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:22:34 +0300

"Your Firewall Blocks Redirects

Symptom

You are trying to make Net8 connections through a firewall. When the Net8 listener redirects your connection to a dedicated server process or to an MTS dispatcher, a new port number is assigned. Your firewall blocks this port number, so connections cannot be made.

Possible solution

This is a common problem, and most commercial firewall products have a built-in capability to deal with Net8 connections. You should consult your firewall documentation for information on enabling your firewall's Net8 support.

If your firewall does not support Net8 directly, you may be able to work around the problem using Connection Manager or multi-threaded server. Connection Manager can be placed inside the firewall, and connections can be routed through it. The redirect happens between Connection Manager and the listener, and since both are inside the firewall, it no longer presents a problem. The client outside the firewall communicates with Connection Manager, and that port number never changes. The section on Connection Manager describes this solution in more detail.

With multi-threaded server, you can configure each dispatcher with a fixed protocol address, which includes a port number. You can then open up those ports in your firewall. Incoming connections are handed off to a dispatcher. Since the dispatcher port numbers are known, and are open in the firewall, connections should be successful. This solution is described in the section on Multi-Threaded Server, and only works for MTS connections. "