Re: System Crash, how to restore database?

From: Enkidu <rcrowley-enkidu_at_learningframework.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 13:41:08 GMT

It depends. If your week-old backups were done while the database was shutdown (cold backup), all you have to do is restore all the files. If your backups were made while the database was running (hot backup), then you have a lot of options to choose from ... only a few of which will be correct for your situation ... sometimes none of which will be correct. Your best bet in this case would be to contact Oracle tech support and have them walk you thru. If you just copied your files while the database was up without telling Oracle you were backing up the tablespaces, then you might be out of luck.

Sorry if this is bad news.

-Roger Crowley