Performance problem with partitioned indexes & tables

From: Michael Burden <Michael.Burden_at_CGEY.COM>
Date: 6 Aug 2002 01:32:07 -0700

We have recently partitioned a large table (500 Million) rows over 7 partitions using local indexes

However, we experienced major performance problems with small row fetches (i.e. < 100) using non-unique indexes. The issue is that an SQL statement executes an all partition fetch which, in this test case, returns no rows. Total number of rows scanned on the base tables was zero because the key didn't exist. However the SQL statement takes 3 to 4 seconds to respond. This means our major batch programs which usually sees fetches in the order of 100ths of a second are now taking a touch longer. Obviously we have reverted to global indexes in the mean time, and reported it to Oracle as a problem and set up a smaller test table to prove the problem did not go away.

I changed the SQL to hit a single partition and this returned the performance back to expected. Now the point is I only have seven partitions so I can write the program to hit each partition separately sort the results put them in an email send them round the world to myself open and read the mail before Oracle returns the results using it's all partition scan method.

So I believed this to be a problem and Oracle's reply is that there is a performance overhead with partition indexes and we should use global indexes.

Does anyone know whether this is a known bug/issue/problem and has any one else experienced something similar. If it is then there should be a warning message stating:

DONT USE PARTITIONED INDEXES AS THEY CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE PERFORMANCE - UNTIL IT'S FIXED. Received on Tue Aug 06 2002 - 03:32:07 CDT