Re: A Newbie Question...

From: Hasmukh Daji <hdaji_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 02:19:30 GMT

Thanks Daniel, for taking time to clarify some of the fundamentals.

BTW _ Yes, you are correct about "scott/tiger" as described in the Oracle's 8i Beginner's book.

In fact, I forgot to mention to Den Hang's earlier response - That the installation process did go through complete Database Creation process. I just don't know what database and where did it create it.

I assumed that when I bring up SQLPlus - and log in as SYSTEM/password - I should be able to type in the syntax to check the datbase connecetd to and navigate through the databse using standard SQL queries. Next, I should also be able to check the number of connections as well some of the basic database engine fundamentals.

I don't think I need to read a thick book to get to these very basic startup questions - for somebody who has worked with DB engines before. I was hoping Oracle will have a standard 2-5 pager cheat sheets to help me get through the basics, that way I will at least feel that the DB engine is installed and working fine. Isn't that "Getting Started Manuals" is all about? One does not need to be an expert to get started. I suppose, I was spoiled working with IBM docs.

Anyway, eventually - like everybody else, I'll get it. I have alreday invested 6 GB of hard drive space so far - spinning software bits & bytes which I am trying to figure out. ( :-)

Hasmukh Daji

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D4EA925.18ABFB5A_at_exesolutions.com...
> Hasmukh Daji wrote:
>
> > Hi, - Need kick-start.....( Oracle's "Quick Start" does not do seem to
do
> > justice...).
> >
> > I have just finished installing the latest version of Oracle 9 Release 2
on
> > Win2K. I chose the Personal Edition install product. Although, I do have
an
> > extensive knowledge of SQL commands and the syntax, I could not figure
out
> > the some of the functionalities of with Oracle. I did read the Getting
> > Started Manual; but does not seem to answer my questions.
> >
> > The fundamental questions I have are:
> > (a) How can find out about the sample database installed? (Note: I
can
> > bring up SQLPLUS successfully).
> > (b) How can I find out which database I am connected to
automatically.