Re: What is one perpectual user license?

From: Priyesh Patel <priyesh_at_mercurie.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 18:50:42 +0100

> >>Can I allow multiple coonections/trasactions via a webserver?
> >>If so, how many? Is there a limit I use only one perpetual user?
>

> Better ask oracle or an oracle dealer for details, because their
> licensing stuff is pretty complex. I guess you'll need an oracle server
> enterprise plus a certain number of user licenses.

Perpetual licenses are sold based on the number of processors. If you buy one of those, then you have no worries over who and how many connect to the Oracle database.

If you can readily identify the users and processes that are able to connect to the database then named user licenses may suit your requirements. The criteria is the number of actual users that are authorised to access the Oracle database server. If you have automated jobs which interact with the database then each automated job would also be counted as a named user for licensing purposes. The number of named user licenses you can buy is subject to a minimum depending on the product. Otherwise it is simple. If you have 10 users then you need 10 named user licenses.

If you cannot readily identify the users of your Oracle database then strictly speaking named user licenses are not suited for your environment.

Further information including prices are available from Oracle Store website.

Regards
Priyesh Patel
www.mercurie.co.uk Received on Mon Aug 05 2002 - 12:50:42 CDT