Re: A Newbie Question...

From: DenHang <reply_toDenHang_at_pi.be>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 18:31:14 +0200

"Hasmukh Daji" <hdaji_at_msn.com> wrote in message news:mBu39.112249$cm.3750852_at_bin3.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com...
> Hi, - Need kick-start.....( Oracle's "Quick Start" does not do seem to do
> justice...).
>

> I have just finished installing the latest version of Oracle 9 Release 2
on
> Win2K. I chose the Personal Edition install product. Although, I do have
an
> extensive knowledge of SQL commands and the syntax, I could not figure out
> the some of the functionalities of with Oracle. I did read the Getting
> Started Manual; but does not seem to answer my questions.
>
> The fundamental questions I have are:
> (a) How can find out about the sample database installed? (Note: I can
> bring up SQLPLUS successfully).
> (b) How can I find out which database I am connected to automatically.
> (c) I am still trying to grasp the concept of SYS and SYSTEM. How can I
> access database using my normal logon ID?
>
> I don't want to bore you with the list of my questions...... but the final
> one, which I thought was a joke..
>
> (d) After reading Oracle 101 from Oracle 8i Beginner's book (Oracle
> Press..). It makes mention of login as polly/gone... They do not discuss
how
> did "polly" get access to the database in the first place. Secondly, when
> logged in as SYSTEM/<password>, I tried to create a sample databse using
> "CREATE..." syntax, as described in the book. It came back with a
> response....... "Tablespace does not exist.,..." At that point I lost
faith
> in the authors, who put the book together. It mayt be a beginner's book
> however, it assumes that your system is set up as per author's
> specifications - without giving details of the setup anywhere in the book.
>
> One of the most critical things about database installation is to
correctly
> establish the logins and ensure that appropriate rights are set for users
> log in. I have had previous experience working with IBM DB2 - I certainly
> did not run into these kind of fundamental issues.
>
> I would apprecaite a quick kick-start, so that I can at least start
working
> with the package - especially, when it takes approx. 3GB of my hard drive
> space + 2 GB of install packages. Wow!!!!!!!!!!
>

> Hasmukh Daji
> Atlanta, GA
> hdaji_at_msn.com

My guess: you installed Oracle software but no Oracle database. Some advice:
- Before installing, read the installation manual (and not only the first chapter)
- Visit otn.oracle.com, you'll find plenty of information there (but, it takes time to find you way around)
- Don't expect beginners books/startes guides to contain all Oracle knowledge you need. Received on Mon Aug 05 2002 - 11:31:14 CDT