Re: Distributing SQL NET software to client machines

From: TurkBear <jgreco1_at_mn.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:05:43 -0500

"Vidar Strisland" <vidar.strisland_at_gard.no> wrote:

>Folks
>One of our application is clientbased and are now migrated to Oracle. We
>need to install sql net in every client machine in order to communicate with
>Oracle DB. Could anyone tell me if there is a way we can distribute the
>sqlnet software to all the client machine from the network like a silent
>install? We dont want to use Oracle INstaller in every machine manually to
>add this software. Any help appreciated
>
>vidar strisland

Here is one way to use a common set of client files:

If the clients (assuming Windows clients) can, map a drive ( We use M:) to a common location ( \\Server_name) ; install The Oracle client to that location using a 'clean' PC for the install..( So Oracle_Home would be something like M:\Oracle\Ora81 )
Export/Save the Registry entries created by the installation ( HKLM/SOFTWARE/ORACLE ) to the common location as a Oracle.reg file.
Have each client map M: to the same location as the installation PC mapped it and add M:\Oracle\Ora81\bin to the PATH of the client machine..
Then DblClick the Oracle.reg files created by the export of the registry entry at each Client to set the registry entries...

Create shortcuts to the executables you want to use ( see the initial installation PC for the details )..

Should work OK..

hth

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Mon Aug 05 2002 - 10:05:43 CDT