Re: Conditionally dropping tables in script

From: Paul Dixon <paul.gp.dixon_at_bt.tinnedham.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:36:08 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D4AA86B.538D195A_at_exesolutions.com...
> Paul Dixon wrote:
>
> > "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > > There is no reference to either script or procedure in the OP. You're
> > > mindreading.
> >
> > Sybrand
> >
> > The message Subject is "Conditionally dropping tables in script" ;-)
> >
> > Paul Dixon
>
> Script, in this newsgroup, is as often misused as is the word instance. So
> the fact that someone writes "script" really doesn't carry much weight
> though I can certainly see his point.
>
> The reason I assumed he meant procedure is that I can't imagine anyone
> getting past the first two or three weeks in Oracle not knowing how to
> write "DROP TABLE xyz" in SQL*Plus. And that anything you can do in
> SQL*Plus you can do in a script. If I grant a person credit for knowing
the
> difference between a script and a procedure then I assume they know the
> most basic of the basics. Word misuse then becomes the most reasonable
> interpretation.
>
> Daniel Morgan

Daniel,

I agree completely. My main reason for posting was to _very gently_ point out to Sybrand that the original post did actually refer to to a script. Whether this was what the original poster really meant, is as you pointed out, something else entirely.

The "regular posters" here are occasionally criticised for the harsh tone of their responses to some "less experienced" posters. I know it can be very frustrating when a complete novice asks a question that they really ought to have made some attempt to have answered themselves or when a student makes a blatent attempt to get thier homework done by somebody else or when the question had already been answered in a separate thread only yesterday. I think I too would feel like making strongly worded reply. But it's worth remembering that we're all human and probably just as capable of making mistakes as anybody else.

If I get it wrong, and I'm sure I will (if I haven't already), I won't mind being "put straight", but please don't be too rough. ;-)

Paul Dixon Received on Mon Aug 05 2002 - 07:36:08 CDT