Re: Student wanting some advice

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 15:35:40 +0200

"AS Pieterse" <13508636_at_sun.ac.za> wrote in message news:aiiuon$2a3p$1_at_news.adamastor.ac.za...
> Hi,
>
> I am currently in my 3rd year at university. I am studying B.Comm in the
> Management Accounting and Computer Science major. Since the start of last
> year I have been looking around into the different areas of IT I am able
> specialize in. I am actually one of those people who's lifelong dream is
> know everything about everything. I have made peace with the fact that
that
> won't be happening, so I would like to focus on one topic. I thought about
> programming in C or something like that, but in the end found SQL and made
> my way to Oracle and MS SQL Server.
>
> So anyway, I've made my decision about focusing on Oracle for a hobby and
> for a future career. I have bought a few books and am working through
them.
> I am planning on writing the first OCP exam before the end of the month
and
> want to be certified by the end of next year when I get my degree.
>
> What I'd like to know from you fellars, without putting me down with all
> that "YOU NEED REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE" stuff... Is it worth it for me to go
> through the trouble of getting certified(remember I'll be doing this in my
> free time, when NOT studying for my degree)? What books and study guides
> would you recommend? Lastly, is this at all possible to do? Will I be able
> to do the exams? If you don't think it's worth it, tell me why and if you
> don't think it's possible, tell me what I have to do to make it possible.
>
> I'm not out to make a quick buck, I'm a hard worker and a team player and
> happen to feel passionate about Oracle. So like I said, don't put me down,
> but rather try and point me in the right direction if you have a minute to
> spare.
>
> I appreciate you just reading this!
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Pieterse
>
> Stellenbosch,
> SOUTH AFRICA.

As there have been debates on the merits of OCP in the Oracle related newsgroups quite often, the best advice which can be given to anyone is avoid re-asking the question, and go to the presumably hard work of searching the archives at http://groups.google.com In that case it also more easy for you to ignore any advice you apparently don't want to get.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA