Re: Oracle 9i Installation on Sparc Solaris 9

From: Joseph Bironas <joseph_at_josebiro.com>
Date: 1 Aug 2002 12:02:29 -0700

Not that I'm an expert in this, but this process is much simpler than you're making it (at least by my experience).

Here's how I've been doing it: (using oracle8i and solaris 9)

-log on as the oracle user (make sure all env variables are set) -from the oracle user home directory run:   # /cdrom/oracle8i/runInstaller

This runs the installer without ever making the oracle cd the working directory, therefore no other processes (other than the installer) will be using the cd device. This makes it possible to unmount the disk in a conventional fashion.

-When prompted to change the disk,
  # eject cdrom

-The automounter will mount the new cd (usually as /cdrom/oracle8i#2) -Put the appropriate path in the dialog when prompted by the installer

Granted I'm doing all this through X tunneling through ssh so I have a couple of terminal windows up at the same time, but it's easier to have a root term and an oracle term IMHO.

Hope this helps,
Joseph