Re: update from two tables

From: Jerry D <jdubuke_at_notme.gpdservices.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:42:39 -0400

you are missing nothing! That is the problem, laughing...

I could not figure it out either...If you look at the orig post, it shows a simple select statement that gets me the data I want, but I cant write an update statement in oracle to handle it. I know I can do it in access, or sybase (not sure about SQL server), but not in oracle.

I got around it by doing the updates on a 1-by-1 basis from an ado recordset, but I am still convinced that there is a simple, fast update query that would work - just haven't found it yet!

Jerry

"Tim C" <NOTCornwell_at_NOTcs.NOTcornell.NOTedu> wrote in message news:aibqt4$hv8$1_at_news01.cit.cornell.edu...
> Jerry D,
>
> Did you ever get this resolved??
>
> I have what seems to be the exact requirement, but cannot find any
examples
> of howthis might be done.
>
> I don't have much experience with Oracle, but this seems like it should be
> so very simple:
>
> Table_A has field_X
> Table_B has fieldY
>
> BOTH tables have key value Z
>
> Find where the (unique) key values from A are in B, and update field_X in
> to be some kind of product of the tableA and TableB fields.
>
> Sounds easy. I think Access & SQL Server can do this easily.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Tim
>

> "Jerry D" <jdubuke_at_notme.gpdservices.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > I have read past posts on this, but I cannot "fit" it to my needs -
> > I have 2 tables (im and rq) - the relationship is rq_imkey = im_key.
> > I need to update the im_alloc field as follows:
> > im_alloc = im_alloc + rq_qty_req
> > where the rq_mocnumber = 'xxxxx'.
> >
> > The select statement is the easiest to describe what I need:
> >
> > select im_key, im_alloc, rq_qty_req from up.im, up.rq where rq_mocnumber
=
> > 'A0111058' and im_key = rq_imkey;
> >
> > This query will generate the resultset I need, now I need to update the
IM