Re: job market for oracle developers?

From: Ed-D <Ed-D_at_despammed.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:47:23 GMT

"RocketMan" <rodrick_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:wUz%8.5348$Og3.1704631_at_e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com...
> Thanks to ED for this post. It's gotten good response and has been very
> interesting for me to read.
>
> After seeing a lot of these comments, I'll have to ask ED what his short
> term (1 yr) goals are ? want to be a server (PL/SQL, UNIX), or a Client
> Developer ( forms, Visual C++, j2ee).

Client Developer sounds more interesting but C++ and j2ee are out of my league for the time being.

Another thing I'm considering is just sticking to Project Management. If I can code PL/SQL and UNIX (which I will be able to do shortly) along with my knowledge of HTML, JavaScript and CSS I could be very "hands-on" indeed :)

> If you've got a year and at least want to be able to work independently,
> you'll have to choose now.

Well one thing at a time. Through this class I will learn PL/SQL, SQL+, SAS (whatever that is, I don't even know yet) and will perfect my UNIX skills. I will be learning these from a programmer/developer standpoint and not as a DBA.
> With over 12 years Oracle experience, I've had to
> choose recently because Oracle has just too many products to try to keep
up
> with. I'm going to stick with mostly server side stuff; DBA, UNIX, JAVA,
and
> one client 9ias Portal. I've got Forms 2/3/4/little 6i, but have decided
> I've got to leave some things behind if I want to remain competent in an
> ever changing environment.
>
> Having said that, I've got a top 4 for you in order of easy - difficult:
>
> TOP 4
> SQL
> PL/SQL
> UNIX