Re: job market for oracle developers?

From: R. Earl Johnson <rodrick_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 21:23:14 -0400

Well Ed,

Most of the Oracle development I'm seeing is moving towards Oracle ERP and Web ( Portal). If you want to be in the slipstream of of this new market direction, I'd suggest some target technologies:

REQUIRED

SQL
PL/SQL
JAVA/HTML/XML
SHELL SCRIPTING ( KORN, and PERL is making a comeback so it's certainly worth looking into)
UNIX ( Solaris is hotter than HPUX right now, but jump at the opp to get into MQSERIES )

OPTIONAL

DEVELOPER 6i ( If you're going to do some Oracle Client development) 9iAS Portal ( Web development using Java and database components)

if you can get these down and get a little experience behind you, you'll be in tremendous demand.

R. Earl Johnson
Database Technology Consultants