Re: CHAR or CAR Survey

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.cox.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:07:45 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:52:24 GMT, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>Alan wrote:
>
>> There is always _someone_ who cares. Most literature I've come across
>> insists that it is "sequel". I like "sequel" because it is faster to say
>> than ess-queue-ell (not that you care <g>).
>>
>> "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message
>> > char.
>> >
>> > so do you say sequel or ess-queue-ell?
>> >
>> > And indeed does anybody care.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Niall Litchfield
>> > Oracle DBA
>> > Audit Commission UK
>> > *****************************************
>> > Please include version and platform
>> > and SQL where applicable
>> > It makes life easier and increases the
>> > likelihood of a good answer
>> >
>> > ******************************************
>> > "Alan" <alanshein_at_erols.com> wrote in message

>> burn

>> also
>> be
>> > >

>And now the perspective from the education front.
>
>I intentionally teach with each and every pronounciation so that the students
>will be familiar with all of them.
>
>And just to make this thread far longer than it ever should have been I'll
>provide another example where the solution, on my part, is to use them all.
>
>Is it ...
>
>init dot ora
>init sid dot ora
>'p' file
>or
>parameter file
>
>Daniel Morgan

Then of course there is { and } which have been documented as being pronounced "left tit" and "right tit," tit being slang for breast. So do you ! your students? (pronounced "bang" in some quarters, which also means, well, something naughty).

=:-O

I've seen situations where not using the "correct" pronounciation has immediately categorized someone as not knowing something - often correctly, as in some bogus headhunters, but occassionally incorrectly, simply due to regional differences.

jg

--
These opinions are my own.
http://www.garry.to                                       Oracle and unix guy.