Re: Reports types

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 08:54:36 +0200

"Yanick Hudon" <yannik_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:Jqq_8.10705$QY4.2122481_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi to all again,
>
> I would like to have an advice on what kind or which language i can
use
> for creating reports.
>
> All the front end application is in visual basic, the back end is is
an
> Oracle database.
>
> I'm using Microsoft datadesigner in my front end, but i notice that if
> use datareport, it's not good
> enough for my need.
>
> I was thinking to use Reports Runtime from oracle....
> Crystal Reports....
> Exporting files in excel....
> and so on...
>
> Which one is the best??
>
> Thanks in advance

Reports runtime is just what it is, reports runtime: you need Developer to create reports.
Exporting in Excel should be avoided, because Excel can connect to the database directly and you can call -with a bit of OLE- Excel from your VB programs.
I would prefer Developer to Crystal Reports though. Developer is way more powerful,. but has also a steeper learning curve.

Hth Received on Sun Jul 21 2002 - 01:54:36 CDT