Re: Timestamp/Date and Oracle 8.1. Enterprise

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:56:09 +0200

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:35:01 +0200, "Mirko Kampf" <MIrko@[NO SPAM]kampf.cc> wrote:

>Hi there,
>

>I have small problem i usually dont use Oracle! BUt now I have to use ist.
>
>My first problem: How can I covert a timestamp(PHP/mknow) saved in the table
>as varchar into a dateformat. In mysql is this normaly the syntax
>"SELECT from_unixtime(unixtimestamp,'%d.%M') from Table"
>
>is in oracle something like this?
>
>I use Oracle 8.1!
>
>thanks mirko

Saving timestamps in varchar format is a BAD idea, as you will continually be forced to convert them to date format. I *URGE* you to reconsider, unless you like building disaster applications.

You can look up the syntax of the to_char and the to_date function in the sql reference manual online at http://tahiti.oracle.com

Generally speaking the newsgroup should NOT be your first resort, as there is already an overload of documentation and FAQ sites available on the net. The question above show you can't have done much to get it answered yourself.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Jul 20 2002 - 09:56:09 CDT